Website Portland Museum
Just as the PMA is committed to acquiring and exhibiting artworks by a diverse range of artists and offering programming that features a wide array of perspectives and collaborators, we also firmly believe that diversity of experience and backgrounds leads to a stronger institution—one that is better equipped to serve all of Maine’s communities and thousands of visitors from throughout the world.
If you’re looking for a work environment where this range of backgrounds is prioritized, where participation and communication is encouraged, where important discussions happen, and where creativity is a part of everyday life, then we strongly encourage you to consider joining our team.
Under the general supervision of the Deputy Director and Chief Financial Officer, the Payroll Administrator manages payroll processes and performs varied functions to effectively provide routine and special project assistance to the Portland Museum of Art’s (PMA’s) Business and Human Resources teams. Contributes to the PMA’s operations to ensure successful implementation of overall business objectives, ensure the museum’s fiscal health, and empower staff through a culture that reflects inclusion, flexibility, and shared responsibility.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Administers all payment, recordkeeping, and reporting processes related to compensation and benefits for PMA employees. Maintains the payroll system, oversees scheduling and time-tracking systems, and processes and implements accurate preparation and payment of payroll in compliance with legal requirements and PMA policies.
- Processes invoices for employee benefits and other payroll and museum expenses as assigned, including reconciliation and resolving discrepancies with vendors, ensuring accurate employee deductions and timely remittance of payments to their intended recipients, and reconciliation of associated general ledger accounts and vendor statements.
- Performs routine clerical activities of the accounts payable, cash receipts processes, and other business office and human resource functions as assigned, according to established protocols. Assists with reconciliation and recording of revenue and deposits, including compiling documentation, investigating discrepancies, and communicating with other staff as needed.
- Works within payroll database, entering, querying, reporting, exporting, and analyzing data. May prepare first-draft documents, reports, and correspondence on behalf of the Deputy Director and CFO.
- Serves as a resource to employees and supervisors regarding the payroll system, including documenting standard operating procedures, preparing user guides, training, and problem-solving to ensure processes are used efficiently, accurately, and with keen attention to internal controls.
- Ensures timely and accurate filing of reports such as quarter-end and year-end tax deadlines and procedures, ACA compliance and reporting, 1099s, and other legal and compliance reports and documentation as required.
- Supports initiatives related to creating the PMA’s multifaceted inclusivity and diversity action plan designed to promote inclusiveness, prevent discrimination, and create an organization that challenges and changes practices that present barriers.
- Participates in development and communication of administrative and organizational systems and procedures to ensure efficient processes, documentation of transactions and procedures, adherence to PMA policies, and support of PMA goals.
- Serves as a departmental resource for navigating the PMA’s forms, paperwork, procedures, and equipment and communications systems. Serves as a resource to train and guide new support staff throughout PMA and as a team leader to support staff within the department and across the PMA as assigned.
- Fosters relationships and builds philanthropy with patrons at the PMA, as defined by displaying behavior that welcomes all individuals contacted during work.
- Performs special projects and other related duties as required, directed, or as the situation dictates.
- Complies with all PMA safety rules and procedures.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Associate degree or two-year college certificate with at least three years of experience in payroll processing and payroll database management. Additional work experience may be substituted for college education.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgement in performing routine and complex tasks that may have a potentially high risk.
- Ability to understand federal, state, and local laws and regulations applicable to payroll and benefits processing and related functions.
- Analytical ability including skills for reconciling, problem-solving, and error prevention and detection.
- Ability to develop systems procedures and train technical and non-technical users.
- Ability to organize, process, and maintain files and records while maintaining confidentiality.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, ability to work effectively with and to assist staff and others in-person, over the phone, and via email.
- Flexible and creative problem-solver, ability to multitask, organize work, and meet deadlines with careful attention to detail and a commitment to quality in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Ability to operate computers and assigned software, including Microsoft Office, finance management systems, payroll and HR systems, and other software.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with coworkers and a variety of individuals contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Regular attendance is required.
Depending on the business needs of the PMA, the position will require both remote and on-site work. The majority of on-site work is performed in a normal office environment not subject to extremes of noise, temperature, odor, etc. Operates computer, printer, photocopier, adding machine, and other office equipment. Work requires extended computer use involving repetitive small muscle tasks. Occasionally required to lift and move heavy objects, such as boxes of files.
Please email cover letter and résumé to email@example.com. In lieu of a résumé, please upload a completed PMA Employment application (https://bit.ly/31lnpBX).
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org