Director of Human Resources
Portland Museum of Art
The Portland Museum of Art (PMA) is hiring a Director of Human Resources.
With an extensive collection and nationally renowned exhibitions, the Portland Museum of Art is the cultural heart of Portland, Maine. Under the direction of the Deputy Director and Chief Financial Officer, and in collaboration with the leadership team, the Director of Human Resources plans, directs, and organizes Human Resources operations to align with the Portland Museum of Art’s Strategic Plan and Equity Strategic Action Plan to inspire staff members and leaders to maximize their potential.
The PMA is looking for a passionate individual who will be integral to aligning our institutional culture with human-centered solutions aimed at increasing empowerment, inclusivity, motivation, and productivity. To succeed in this role, you will need to be curious, creative, and eager to work in a fast-paced environment that demands strong organizational skills.
· Oversees Human Resources for the PMA in line with the PMA’s mission, vision, and objectives, by identifying areas for focus and prioritizing based on organizational goals. Contributes information, analysis, and recommendations to organizational strategic planning.
· Strengthens institutional infrastructure through a focus on employee-centric culture, overseeing all aspects of human resources management including personnel policies: HRIS system; talent acquisition; employee engagement; benefits administration; and employee safety and wellness.
· Build and implement a Learning & Development workforce program.
· Supports the PMA’s goal for supervisors to champion the PMA’s strategic initiatives and vision and provide enthusiastic leadership supportive of positive workplace culture. Provides training and guidance for supervisory staff at all levels to ensure consistent application of PMA policy and HR best practices and serves as a resource to supervisors in resolving employee relations issues, including conflict resolution.
· Facilitates labor relations efforts by ensuring compliance with the UAW Local 2110 union contract and participating in contracting negotiations.
· Analyzes staffing needs, participates in conjunction with the leadership team on workforce planning and supports in ongoing retention initiatives.
· Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements and HR best practices.
· Implements communications systems enabling employees to be fully informed about PMA policies, procedures, objectives and goals.
· Plan, develop and coordinate efforts to support the improvement of Health and Wellness in the workplace.
· Initiate and create structure for Employee Resource Groups and improve visibility around their contributions.
· Selects and oversees outside resources such as consultants, attorneys, and training specialists, and coordinates HR insurance brokers and carriers.
· Collaborates with the Human Resources Committee and provides support.
· Supervises Human Resources Assistant and Manager of Talent Acquisition and Employee Engagement.
· Ability to authentically engage with colleagues and others to establish, maintain, and foster positive and collaborative working relationships.
· Demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
· Ability to share information and to prepare training programs and presentations to a wide variety of groups.
· Maintain confidentiality and effectively handle highly sensitive and personal information with sound judgment, tact, and discretion.
· Demonstrated abilities in negotiation, problem solving, and conflict resolution.
· Ability to communicate goals and inspire colleagues.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, including ability to embrace the PMA brand charter and style guide.
· Thorough understanding and application of relevant labor and employment laws, collective bargaining agreements, and management training of these principles.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
· Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of seven years of Human Resources experience in progressively responsible Human Resources management positions.
· Professional certification as SHRM-SCP, SPHR strongly preferred.
· Union and labor relations experience strongly preferred.
Regular attendance at the workplace is required.
The PMA has a flexible remote work policy which allows for one to two days of remote work per week for administrative positions, with supervisor approval.
The Human Resources Director position is a full-time, salaried, exempt, employment-at-will, confidential management position. Full benefits include Health, PTO, PPL, 403 (b) savings and PMA family membership and discounts.
NO PHONE CALLS OR RECRUITERS, PLEASE
The PMA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, familial status, domestic violence status, or any other status protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.