Human Resources Director
Director of Human Resources
The Preble Street mission to end hunger, homelessness and poverty could not be accomplished without its team of talented and dedicated staff; and the Director of Human Resources supports the agency and its team by managing and leading the full scope of the Human Resource function in alignment with Preble Street’s mission and values. This position is an exciting opportunity for a dedicated, experienced HR professional interested in joining our progressive social services organization.
The key accountabilities of the DHR include: leading and supervising the Human Resources team; oversight of agency recruitment, hiring, orientation, onboarding, performance management and terminations; benefits and compensation planning, administration, reporting and compliance; facilitation of employee relations and workplace culture; oversight, development and delivery of staff trainings; safety-related compliance, policy development, policy implementation and reporting; oversight and administration of employee leaves; policy development and implementation; ensuring compliance with employment laws and regulations; and advising leadership on all HR related matters including policy and practices. As a member of Senior Management, the Director of Human Resources participates in all aspects of agency management.
The following knowledge, skills and abilities are among those required for the Director of HR:
- Ability to lead the HR function to support fulfilling the agency mission and building a strong, diverse team.
- Ability to think and plan strategically to accomplish goals and meet objectives.
- Ability to independently manage complex projects.
- High level of knowledge of employment laws, and ability to conduct legal research.
- High level of knowledge of benefits plans and administration and related laws and regulations.
- Strong collaborative skills, with the ability to respectfully communicate ideas, policies and expectations.
- Aptitude for risk assessment and mitigation.
- Ability to navigate conflicts and challenges with respect and a solutions-oriented approach.
- Experience with payroll and HRIS systems (ADP Workforce Now preferred).
- Excellent critical thinking skills, with the ability to analyze and synthesize information from various sources.
A master’s degree or bachelor’s degree, significant experience in a HR leadership role, and SHRM certification are the preferred qualifications for the position; however, candidates with any combination of experience and education likely to provide the knowledge, skills and abilities to be successful in the position will be considered.
This is an exempt position, offering competitive compensation including generous insurance and paid time off benefits, as well as an Employee Assistance Plan and a 403B Retirement Plan with employer match.
Please email your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
You may also send your application materials via postal mail to: Preble Street HR, 38 Preble St. , Portland, ME 04101
Please note: Automatically-generated confirmations of receipt will be sent in response to applications sent via email. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be otherwise contacted.
Preble Street is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, military status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, creed, citizenship status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all of Preble Street’s hiring practices, and all terms and conditions of employment.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org